Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Haiti on the Heart

Happy Tuesday to you folks! Well, in a little less than a month I will be traveling to Haiti for a week with a group of youth from my church! Three of my 9th grade girls are going and I was asked to go with them! The opportunity came out of no where and I am excited to see what the Lord is going to do!
 
 We had a very informative meeting last night, I learned that Haiti is a 5th world country. Which is the worst, worse than a third world country.  It means the average person makes less than $1 a day. WOW. I know Haiti has been on the radar of most people here in America, largely due to the hurricane.  There are many people passionate about this country and passionate to fulfill the needs of the people there.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to love on a group of people who are in such great need.
 I began think and praying last night about our days spent there.  We will be living in an orphanage for the week, loving on children and helping out with whatever needs to be done. We'll also be working on the building of a home, teaching people how to garden and possible harvesting some crops!
 Mom gave me this book to read in January and after many months (I am a slow reader) I am finally finished. I must say, God times things just perfectly.  It has opened my eyes to a world of impoverished people.  A people who, although they dont have much, they are so FULL of Christ's JOY and HOPE.  Americans are RICH rich rich, with goods, things, food, clothes, but relationally, we tend to run dry.  Reading about Katie and her girls experiences makes you long for more. Not more of the world, but just more of the simplicity of Jesus.  God knew what he was doing when mom gave me this book.  While, I'm not completely prepared for what we will see in Haiti, I feel like my heart has been opened to God's people even more than before.
Please pray for the hearts of the people we will meet, pray for the hearts of our team and myself.  Thank you! We leave June 16th and return on the 23rd.  Thank you for your prayers in advance!

purchase cards here....proceeds help me get to haiti :)

No comments:

Post a Comment